Saturday, October 6, 2012

DO IT YOURSELF - Hanging Ghostly Ghouls

CURRENT MOOD: Sleepy... so sleepy that I feel like a zombie.



Here is an inexpensive alternative to buying a brand new hanging Halloween prop which generally can sell for as much as 75 dollars at a seasonal store, instead - make it yourself! In my example I spent under 10 dollars for the entire project, it is about 5 feet long and proportional to a human in size.

WHAT YOU NEED
- One foam skeleton head
- One coat hanger
- Different types of Fabric
- Hot glue OR sewing push pins

DIRECTIONS
1.) Begin by straightening out the head of your coat hanger, get help if you are not sure how to go about this and be careful! You can bend it with your hand or pliers work well as well.

2.) Take your foam skull and carefully push it onto the head of the coat hanger which you just straightened out. This is the basic form of your hanging ghoul. Head, neck, and shoulders.

3.) Now that you have the basic form you can start layering your fabric. In my example I used white, tan, and grey fabric I found in the remnant discount bin at my local fabric store.
  •  Begin by layering fabric around the foam skull and draping it down like a cape, continue building layers to make it more realistic. Secure in place with hot glue or push pins.
  • You can wrap some excess fabric around the coat hanger to give a more realistic form if you wish, which is what I did in my example but it is clearly not required.
  • Tie a strip of fabric around the "neck" (straightened head of the coat hanger) to create more form, as well as give you something to hang your figure from later.
4.) Time for the details -  In my example I added some black vines, worms, little bugs and finally sprayed it with sparkle spray so it would catch more light, I decided to rip the top layer of fabric to create more depth and detail to the bottom of the cape. Add your own special touches to your Hanging Ghostly Ghoul to make it really stand out!

No comments:

Post a Comment